A weekend “cease fire” at the request of Baltimore city leaders breaks down.
In response to the heightened shooting violence in Baltimore, the weekend of August 4 through August 6 was designated “Nobody Kill Anybody” weekend, promoted with the social media hashtag #BaltimoreCeasefire.
However, it’s reported three shooting incidents occurred over the weekend and one individual was killed.
A 37-year-old man was shot and killed in Baltimore late on Saturday, police said, in the second murder since activists called for a 72-hour “ceasefire” this weekend in response to the city’s record homicide rate.
The unidentified victim suffered multiple gunshot wounds just before 10 p.m. on Saturday, a few hours after a 24-year-old man was reported shot and killed. Another shooting, which was not fatal, occurred earlier in the day, police said.
Baltimore is on the fast track to break its 1993 record high homicide rate.
So far this year, there have been 206 homicides in Baltimore, putting it on a pace to break the record of 353 in 1993.
Although the 72 hour cease fire was ignored, citizens remain hopeful to end the violence and plan to organize events to help bring the community together.
Ceasefire organizers are planning almost 50 events – cookouts, peace walks, a basketball tournament and prayer meetings – across the largely African-American city of 615,000 people.