The online viral content site BuzzFeed announced it’s backing out of a $1.3 million advertising deal with the RNC because they do not want to promote Donald Trump’s campaign for president.
The source said that the main consideration was the site’s employees – that BuzzFeed could not countenance “having employees make ads, or working at the company and having our site promoting things, that limit our freedom and make it harder for them to live their lives.” Asked if the site would rule out any Trump advertising, the source said the specifics would matter: “In general, we have taken the position that we won’t take ads for his presidential campaign.”
In an email to staff on Monday, BuzzFeed founder and CEO Jonah Peretti explained that in April, the RNC and BuzzFeed signed an agreement to “spend a significant amount on political advertisements slated to run during the Fall election cycle.” But since Trump became the nominee his campaign has proven themselves to be “directly opposed to the freedoms of our employees in the United States,” because of proposed bans on Muslim immigration and comments about descendants of immigrants, among other policies.
“We don’t need to and do not expect to agree with the positions or values of all our advertisers. And as you know, there is a wall between our business and editorial operations. This decision to cancel this ad buy will have no influence on our continuing coverage of the campaign,” Peretti said in the memo, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO.”We certainly don’t like to turn away revenue that funds all the important work we do across the company,” Peretti wrote. “However, in some cases we must make business exceptions: we don’t run cigarette ads because they are hazardous to our health, and we won’t accept Trump ads for the exact same reason.”
So Donald Trump is a “hazard” to Americans, but not Hillary Clinton? The candidate who:
- Jeopardized classified documents and the national security of the United States by using an unauthorized and unsecured private email server
- Lied to Americans about the motivations behind the 2012 Benghazi attack on the U.S. embassy in Libya
- Gets paid millions of dollars every year in speaking fees to rub elbows with Wall Street and special interest lobbyists
- Openly admitted that she wants to “put a lot of coal miners out of business” with radical environmental regulations
- Believes taking guns away from the good guys will reduce gun violence among bad guys
- Thinks America can spend its way out of debt
The list goes on and on. The liberal media sees what it wants to see, but the facts don’t lie. The greatest hazard to the health of our nation would be a Hillary Clinton presidency in 2016.